Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Clark Kent Syndrome

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately. When I try to recall my earliest memories as a child, the one thing that comes to mind is an iconic character virtually everyone on the planet recognizes: Superman. Everyone knows about Superman, it seems. However, few people ever really look at Clark Kent, Superman's human identity. As of late, I've been looking away from Superman and more into the symbolic representation of Clark Kent. Personally, I think all of us are a "Clark Kent" in some way or another, and the more I think about it, there is a lot to be gleaned from that.


Currently, I am not exactly the biggest Superman fan. However, as a child, I was obsessed with him. The first Superman movie starring Christopher Reeve (who in my opinion, was a true hero in every sense of the word) was like a pacifier for me as a toddler, according to my parents. They used to have a copy of it on VHS and Betamax (yes, Betamax...for all you kids too young to remember that, ask your parents) and had to take the movie pretty much anywhere we went on vacation. It was one of the only things that would stop me from crying as a baby. When I was in high school, the TV show "Smallville" premiered and for good period of time it got me interested in my childhood superhero all over again. Watching Kristin Kreuk on a weekly basis, the girl who played Lana Lang, was an added bonus, of course.


While every movie, comic, and graphic novel has mentioned Clark Kent, there have been few mediums that focus solely on his nature. Everyone knows about Superman, and everyone knows about Superman's powers. Flight. Super strength. Invulnerability. Heat vision. Freezing breath. Super speed. Super senses. The guy's powers are practically infinite, and it seems that every few years, different powers and abilities are bestowed upon him. But, no one seems to really look at Clark Kent. Clark Kent is a normal guy from the midwest. Clark Kent tries to vie for Lois Lane's attention, but, she is infatuated with his alter ego, Superman. As a young man, he possesses great skills and abilities but isn't quite sure how to use them yet. He goes through life relatively unnoticed by others outside of his immediate circle, but he knows he's supposed to do something great with his life.

I think that while we can all agree that we can't identify with the abilities of Superman, we can definitely identify with the nature of Clark Kent. In fact, all of us are a Clark Kent in some way. We are human. Many go through this life doing their best to make the most of it. Most of us work for a living. Sometimes, it seems we go unnoticed by those around us. But I feel that somewhere inside of our souls is a "Superman" just waiting to be revealed. For many, this Superman is dormant. Many refuse to believe they could even possess a Superman within them, much less reveal him to the world. Others believe that they aren't good enough to have a Superman residing inside their hearts. But, there are some out there who believe that they do have a Superman within them. They believe they can change the world. They believe they can be instruments of hope for others.


In my own life, there are people who need me to be Superman. They need me to be strong, invulnerable, and able to do great and amazing things. But a handful of people, the ones I hold closest to me, need me to be Clark Kent. For the most part, I try to be the Superman in my life...pushing really hard trying to make everything right while trying to save situations and people around me, that I forget that I am only human. Despite my skills, passion, and abilities, I need to remember that you can't save everyone right away. People may want to save themselves every once in a while. This is how they are able to grow as individuals, and they need that space to flourish and learn. However, when they feel that they need me, I will be there to help them. After all, Superman doesn't show up unless people ask for his help or really need his help.

Right now, I need to know the right time and right place to be Superman for those in my life. I can't be Superman all the time, and I can't be Clark Kent all the time. I need to figure out the right time and place for both. I realize that now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home