Thursday, May 28, 2009

New Jersey Food Cultures

Outside the realm of martial arts and Filipino history, there is one thing I love: Food. I've come to the grand realization that my home state of New Jersey has a great food scene. Sure, our "big brother" New York City (aka by Jerseyan's as "The City") has great food. But, New Jersey is a food powerhouse all it's own. Recently, I've been fortunate to discover, as well as re-discover, several New Jersey food joints that are quickly becoming my favorites. Some of them you may know...others you may have never even heard of.

1) GoodFellas in Fords, NJ:

I grew up in the small town of Fords, which is one of several towns within Woodbridge Township. Fords is one of those towns that you either know about or you don't. I've even met Woodbridge residents who have never even heard of the place. If you haven't heard of Fords, then I'm sure this place will put my hometown on the map. GoodFellas is a recent addition to Fords and serves some of the best pizza, cheesesteaks, gelato, and pasta around...real Jersey-boy Italian food...the kind I grew up with. It's located right down the street from my cousin's house and I must say that whenever I go back to Fords, I just HAVE to get 2 slices of pizza from this place...and maybe a gelato as well. The prices are fair and the portions are rather large. If you are ever in Fords, this is the place to go.

2) The Crazy Burrito in South Edison, NJ:

Growing up in Fords, it was generally understood that our next door neighbor, the town of Edison, was divided into two parts. You had North Edison (where I currently reside) and South Edison. I'm not sure what it is about South Edison, but I firmly hold the belief that they have the edge over North Edison when it comes to food joints. The other day, my girlfriend and I had a huge craving for Mexican food. I recalled a small Mexican food joint that I used to pass by all the time as a kid while in the backseat of the minivan. Once we arrived, we realized this place was gonna be good. It reminded me of the local Mexican food joints in Arizona I once frequented. Mariachi music was blasting on the jukebox...you could smell the tortillas cooking in the back...and drunk Mexican guys were all over the place with a Corona in each hand. For 20 bucks, my girlfriend and I ordered two Tamales, a Carne Asada Burrito, two Pina Coladas (non-alcoholic of course), and a delicious egg and cheese burrito known as the "Tex Mex". The authentic Mexican taste and the prices are tough to beat. Skip Taco Bell and head to the Crazy Burrito.

3) Fiesta Grill off Westside in Jersey City, NJ:

Jersey City is home to a very large and densely populated Filipino community. Most of my Filipino friends are from Jersey City, and finding a Filipino in Jersey City is like finding a Starbucks in a strip mall--they are everywhere. There are several Filipino restaurants in Jersey City, and there are TWO Fiesta Grills in Jersey City. I have to say that the Fiesta Grill off of Westside is my personal favorite. If you are looking for some damn good sizzling Sisig and Lechon Kawali, look no further. Yes, I am aware that there will be Filipinos reading this and disagreeing...but from my personal experience, the service (which I have found lacking in several of the Jersey City Filipino restaurants) and quality of food at the Westside Fiesta Grill is excellent and surpasses that of it's Newark Avenue branch.

4) Fujiyamamama in Westfield, NJ:

Westfield is a town 15 minutes away from where I currently live. My experience in Westfield is limited to the very aesthetically-pleasing main street area that consists of high-end shops as well as trendy restaurants and independent businesses. However, my girlfriend took me to this place called Fujiyamamama in some neighborhood backroad of Westfield. If you want U-Yee style half-price Sushi without the long wait and without the chances of you awkwardly bumping into someone from your past, then this is the place for you.

5) Manny's Texas Wieners in Vauxhall, NJ:

I had no idea Vauxhall, NJ existed until I went to this place. I also had no clue what a Texas Wiener was until I went to this place. However, my girlfriend and I wanted to try something different so we decided to check the place out. For those of you who don't know, a Texas Wiener is basically a hot dog with Chili (hence the Texas reference), mustard, and onions. I know it sounds like an odd combination, but I must say that it is the best hot dog I've had in a very, very long time. I ordered 4 of these bad boys and devoured them without hesitation. If you want a good hot dog, head to this place.

6) Clark White Diamond in Clark, NJ:

I don't know much about Clark, NJ other than this place. I've been going to it since I was a kid and have some of my fondest food memories there...with the exception of one when my mom took me there to cushion the blow that my family was moving away (long story). But all horrible memories aside, this place has the best burgers in the area by far. My father once worked as a limo driver and would head there early in the mornings after his shifts to grab a bite to eat. Eventually, they became a Pana-Family staple. Best part is is that they are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you want a great burger at 3 AM after a night of partying, this is the place to go. Like many Jerseyans who frequent the area, I prefer the small burgers. The large burgers served on Kaiser rolls are the ones I ate throughout my childhood, but my fondness for the mini burgers comes from the fact that they are cheap, packed with flavor (and grease), and I can seem to devour several of them at a time without getting too full. Probably not the best thing health-wise, but fun and delicious nontheless. I came from there earlier today and bought 4 Large California burgers, 3 Small burgers, and 1 hot dog...all for around 20 bucks. Not bad at all.

7) Tastee Sub Shop in South Edison, NJ:

Like I said, South Edison has something magical about it when it comes to food. Tastee Sub Shop is an example of that. This creates what is, in my mind, the quintessential Jersey Sub. Yes, you heard me...a SUB. Not a Grinder. Not a Hoagie (sorry South Jersey). Not a Hero. Not a Po' Boy...A SUB. I've been eating their food since I was a kid and to this day I always order the same thing: Ham, Salami, and Cheese on White with a good helping of Red Wine Vinegar. While overseas, Tastee Subs, along with White Diamond burgers, was the food I longed for the most.

8) China Bowl in South Edison, NJ:

Here we go with South Edison again! It may be something in the water. This place serves Hong Kong quality Chinese food at very, very good prices. If you are looking for Hopkee-style eating but don't want to drive around for an hour looking for a place to park while avoiding traffic in Chinatown, head to this place.

9) Thai House Rock in Colonia, NJ:

Last but not least, the place that is, in my humble opinion, the home of the best Phad Thai in Jersey. As a former 3 year resident of Bangkok, Thailand, I know good Phad Thai when I taste it, and this place has the most authentic Phad Thai I've had in Jersey. This tiny Thai eatery on the side of Route 35 has a rock n' roll theme to it...with the walls adorned in classic rock albums and images. To make things even better, the owner, who we call Eddie, is one cool dude. He and his wife run the place and he has become a pretty good friend of the Pana family. If you have a craving for Phad Thai and Thai Iced Tea, then look no further than this place.


Now that I have lived my Anthony Bourdain-esque moment, I must now go to sleep. Farewell.

1 Comments:

Blogger E. Terrence Bautista said...

If you take me to Thai House Rock, I'll take you to White Manna in Hackensack.

June 1, 2009 at 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home