Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Musings on Spike's "Deadliest Warrior"

As a martial artist who has spent his whole life researching and training in various fighting styles and warrior cultures, I thought Spike TV's new show, "Deadliest Warrior" would be right up my alley. It's not a bad show. However, I thought I'd talk about what I think the show is lacking and why it isn't an accurate portrayal of warriors being pitted against other warriors.

First, let me say I do watch the show. In fact, as I type this, I am watching the "Pirate VS Knight" episode. The show seeks to pit one warrior culture against an other...cultures that haven't met on the battlefield in real life. It's interesting to see the different warrior cultures that are present...many of which haven't been recognized by Hollywood or by people on a wide scale: the Apache, Maori Warrior, Vikings, etc. They even take a stab at comparing groups that weren't always seen as a warrior culture...the Yakuza VS Mafia for instance...which was one entertaining episode I might add (NOTE: I was rooting for the Mafia just in case anyone was curious...being from the "Soprano State" and all).

My gripe with the show has nothing to do with the results of the simulated battles. It has to do with the following:

1) Despite what the show's mission entails, the show doesn't really pit a warrior against another warrior. In reality, they are merely comparing the weapons of each warrior culture against one another. It really should be titled "Deadliest Weapon". They compare each culture's respective weapons against each other and compare their lethality...they do not take into account the warriors' mindset, skills, or techniques. We need to remember that weapons don't fight wars...PEOPLE do. If you are going to call the show "Deadliest Warrior", then I think they should discuss and compare lifestyle, techniques, tactics, and strategies of each warrior culture as opposed to just the weapons they use.

2) Even though the show mainly showcases and compares weapons and pits weapons against each other, oftentimes, they don't often pick the right weapons to compare. For instance, in the Viking VS Samurai episode...they didn't compare the Viking Long Sword to the Samurai Katana. Instead, they compared the Katana to the Viking Long Axe...and the Naginata (which is more like the Viking Long Axe) to the Viking Long Sword. Also, in the Spetznatz VS Green Beret episode, they compared the Russian Ballistic Knife to the Green Beret's Entrenching Shovel...which makes no sense...since the Russian's real and true close-combat weapon is the Shovel (I got my Bayani Warrior brother Chris Shragin a Russian Combat Shovel for his going-away present to Japan), and I feel the Green Beret's should've demonstrated the use of the Tomahawk...which is very popular within Green Beret circles.

3) Trying to simulate a battle via a computer program factoring in data of weapons' efficiency is not a very accurate portrayal of a battle. Again, the computer program only takes into account the efficiency of the weapons but does not compare the skills or tactics of each warrior group. I feel it would've been better if the representatives of each system stopped their horrible acting and trash talking and simply FOUGHT in a simulated fight. They should've had the Spetznatz reps and the Green Beret reps fight a tactical Airsoft or Paintball match...or had the Viking reps and Samurai reps actually spar it out with their weapons. Yes, I understand it's not exactly "real" combat, and that the weapons they tested cannot be used for the sake of safety, and that rules have to be factored in for safety of the participants. However, a computer simulation is not "REAL" either. However, I feel that a simulated physical battle would been a lot more demonstrative of the skills and tactics of the warriors. There was a show on USA Network in 2001 called "Combat Missions", a show that pitted groups of Navy SEALs, Army Rangers, SWAT officers, and Delta Force against each other in mock battles...I don't see why they can't do the same with this show. The shows participants must factor skills, tactics, as well as battle conditions such as terrain...things that a computer cannot factor mathematically.

4) It seems to me that the show doesn't take into account that these warrior cultures did not fight one on one...they fought as groups in combat. The only two shows that showcase a group vs group fight is "Yakuza VS Mafia" and "Spetznatz VS Green Berets". However, the Spartans were known for their team tactics and their whole fighting method revolved around fighting as a group...same goes for the Knights, Samurai, and other warrior cultures.

5) Some of the warrior cultures were mismatched against one another. I feel that the following match-ups should've been on the show and would've made much more sense.

-Knights VS Samurai (they both existed around the same time period so it would've made more sense to pit them against each other)

-Apache VS Ninja (both use stealth to overcome their enemy. I would've liked to see how they fought against each other in a guerilla warfare setting).

-Spetznatz VS Navy SEALs (I have great respect for the Green Berets, are tough as they come they but they are more of a group that specializes in training other countries to fight...at least that's what I've been told by my friends in the US Army. IMHO, the Navy SEALs' training and mindset is much more like the Spetznatz's own.)

Overall, I find the show entertaining and I have not missed an episode yet. However, I think the show could use a lot more improvement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home